Friday, January 01, 2010

 

Bringing in a new year is like hitting a reset button


Bringing in a new year is like hitting a reset button. I have come to refer to it this year as the Etch-A-Sketch strategy. Change the calendars, transition from all of the Christmas decorations and so on. The tree coming down and a Pork and Sauerkraut dinner seem to signify a new year is here. Let’s not forget about all of the New Year’s Day college football.

There seems to be a bit of churning that goes on as I head into a new year. I don’t necessarily need to reinvent myself every year, however, I do reflect on what I had accomplished in the previous year and look at ways to improve myself in the coming new year. You could say that I refocus my energies on a few keys areas. I am not saying to forget about the last year, but, to see what transpired and learn from the experiences, grow your skill set and aggressively prepare to achieve your objectives in the new year.

I have set a up a grid on a piece of paper that is separated into 6 quadrants. These are areas that I want to rethink, reevaluate and drill down in to focus on some objectives that I want to achieve for this coming year. Of course there is work and personal/family and I also have set up areas to focus on several projects that I have been involved with and/or are working on. One last quadrant that I have is leadership and  personal development.

In each of these areas I have started to list my objectives and there may be several that I want to achieve. I will have specific SMART goals for each of these objectives. From there I can develop the strategies and tactics needed to work towards achieving those objectives.

So as we start the new year I am recommending that you take the time to look at where you have been and where you would like to be. Don’t wait....get started today.

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home