Saturday, January 10, 2009

 

Good To Great

In starting with my reading challenge for 2009, I have started a hardcover book, but, I also started on an audiobook since I am traveling often. My first choice was Jim Collins. His book Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap... and Others Don't was a great first choice and it didn't take that long to get it listened to. It is only a tad over 6 hours of audio and I knocked that out in roughly 5 trips to my office.

In this current economic environment I was looking for some insight into creating and sustaining great fundamental principles. This book outlined some great concepts that I have already found myself digging into and getting my arms (and head) around. The first concept is the Hedgehog Concept and I find that I love the idea about focusing on the understanding of what you can be versus the goals, strategies or intentions. What are your three circles? The other concept was the Flywheel or the Doom Loop. This gets my thoughts going about momentum, consistency, leading, discipline and initiative. I fully recommend getting this book or audiobook. At the very least visit Jim's web site where there is a wealth of information to help you go from Good to Great!!

Labels: , , ,


Comments:
Hello Kevin,

I actually consulted for a foodservice competitor of yours a few years back (sorry!). Anyhow, I like the site you've set up here. Now that I'm on the road a bit more, I've started thinking about getting into audio books, and this sounds like a good start. Do you have any suggestions on where to start?

A site I've found that has a ton of great sales training material is @ Dave Kahle's site - http://davekahle.com which might be useful for anyone who frequensts this site.

Anyhow, if you have any good recommendations, feel free to shoot me an email at adamnldtATyahooDOTcom

Thanks!
 
Thanks for the feedback about the site. Always a work in progress. I will dig into Dave Kahle's site a bit as well. He does have some good stuff that I have seen in the past.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home